Monday, August 12, 2013

The Rebel Black Dot State Songs of the Day
Sufjan Stevens, "The Upper Peninsula" from Michigan (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The U.P. was on my mind quite a bit this weekend, ever since I passed through the kitchen while my father watched a television program called Aerial America that briefly recounted the Toledo War & Michigan's acquisition of the peninsula to the north of the Straits of Mackinac. I've not been to the Wolverine State's upper reaches since the 20th century; I shall have to see what might be done about that. The "Yoopers" might looked down their quasi Canuck noses at we "Trolls" of the Lower Peninsula, but we're all Michiganders, confound it!

Sonntag, 11 August
John Linnell, "Pennsylvania" from State Songs, Vol. 1 (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "La la la la, la la la la la la la la, la la la la, la la la la…"

Samstag, 10 August
Phantom Planet, "California" from The Guest (T.L.A.M.)

3 comments:

K.Steeze said...

I was both surprised and delighted to find that our mixing stage in Santa Monica carries Faygo root beer. Made feel a little closer to home.

Mike Wilson said...

You can take the man out of Michigan, but you can't take Michigan out of the man.

twg said...

Quasi-Wisconsinite, more like, according to my brother, who spent 5 or so years living there.