Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Zooey Deschanel Appreciation Day

Last night, as I collected the trash to take to the curb after publishing the latest episode of "The Explorers' Club," my mother drew my attention to Zooey Deschanel as the guest-of-the-week on the celebrity genealogy television program Who Do You Think You Are? Mercifully, The Secret Base remains unseen by her eyes, but she knows of my insistent infatuation with this feature's eponymous actress/musician through my viewership of New Girl. Mom & I watch Raising Hope together, but she doesn't care for New Girl. Fine by me, there's no accounting for taste; after all, not even the erstwhile Mrs. Gibbard was inducement enough for me to sit through an episode of Who Do You Think You Are?



What's Eating The Last Angry Man?
The fourth She & Him album is titled Volume 3, not Volume Three. For Pete's sake, their first two albums are Volume One & Volume Two, not Volume 1 & Volume 2! In the same vein, it is supremely annoying that the third Iron Man feature film is titled Iron Man Three even though the second is titled Iron Man 2. Volume 3 & Iron Man Three would be fine on their own, but their inconsistency is utterly at odds with the purpose of using numerically sequential titles. Consistency is all I ask!

Lest some captious bastard throws Emerson's line, "consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds," at me, please note (one) that I don't give a tinker's damn for the childish self-worship of Ralph Waldo Emerson & (two) that what he actually wrote was, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds," the operative word being "foolish."

That's what eating The Last Angry Man.

The Rebel Black Dot State Song of the Day
Sufjan Stevens, "Come On! Feel the Illinoise!" from Illinois (T.L.A.M.)

2 comments:

K.Steeze said...

All of the marketing materials I've seen suggest the title is "Iron Man 3" (posters, dvd packaging, etc). I have not seen the film, so you are saying that the actual on screen title says "Iron Man Three"?

EDIT: just watched the main on ends from Prologue, the company who made them. Yup! "Iron Man Three". Ha, weird.

Mike Wilson said...

Yes, the film is titled Iron Man Three. I would suggest that the promotional & packaging materials all read "Iron Man 3" because of that idiocy & inconsistency of Iron Man Three as a title. Too bad no one at Disney bothered to check the film's credits.

Similarly, though all the promotional & packaging materials gave the title as "12 Monkeys," the film is actually titled Twelve Monkeys. David Fincher's film, though pronounced "Seven," is titled Se7en.