Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A very introspective episode of "This Week in Motorsport" is coming as soon as I can cobble it together, reflecting on the most bloodstained year of my experience. If this isn't an especially cursed year, it certainly feels that way.

The Victors
I posted the following to the FaceSpace & thus far it has been well-received by my fellow Wolverines:
Al Borges must be fired with immediate effect. Michigan's offense under Borges is so inept that I cannot help but recall the lyrics from Jason Segal's "Dracula's Lament" (from Forgetting Sarah Marshall):

"It's getting kind of hard to believe things are going to get better,
I've been drowning too long to believe that the tide's going to turn,
And I've been living too hard to believe things are going to get easier,
I'm still trying to shake off the pain from the lessons I've learned…"
Go Blue!

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Icon for Hire, "Theatre" from Scripted (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: To-day's R.B.D.S.O.T.D. dovetails nicely with a bit of Scripture I stumbled upon (or was lead to?) last night just before retiring. First, some lyrics from "Theatre":

"What happened to the girl
Who could overlook the world?
She never gave a second thought
To what the other people thought.
What happened to the dream
Of rejecting their routine?
'Cause it never worked for me.

"I'm gonna burn this theater down,
I pray to God for the strength to help me face the crowd…"

Now, the Second Letter to Timothy, chapter four, verses one through five (2 Timothy, 4:1-5):
I charge you in the presence of God & of Christ Jesus, Who will judge the living & the dead, & by His appearing & His kingly power: proclaim the word; be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient; convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience & teaching. For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires & insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers & will stop listening to the truth & will be diverted to myths. But you, be self-possessed in all circumstances; put up with hardship; perform the work of an evangelist; fulfill your ministry.
The world would have us behave one way (not the world alone, but the world, the flesh, & the devil), but for myself I have never felt at ease with this path. Throughout my life this discomfort has manifested itself as weirdness, as awkwardness, as a sadly prideful non-conformity. As no lesser an authority than Mrs. Skeeter, Esq. once remarked, "Since when do you care what other people think?" Not to no useful purpose was my struggle: I find myself, as do we all, confronted by a world that will not tolerate sound doctrine, by persons who have been diverted by myths, but, conditioned not to care a whit for the world's corrupt & fallen teachings by a lifetime of not fitting in, I find myself prepared & equipped to put up with this hardship, to be persistent, to work as an evangelist, to fulfill my ministry.

I remain a jolly fat man (still grappling with the deadly sins of sloth & gluttony) who strives always to overlook the world, to never give a second thought to what other people think, to reject their routine.

No comments: