Saturday, October 19, 2013

Urbi et Orbi
It is quarter after eleven in the morning on a Saturday & you are already returned home after spending three-plus hours at your church. Something in your life has either gone really, really wrong or really, really right. Getting out of bed before 7:00 A.M. on a Saturday isn't fun, but being at a 7:30 A.M. Bible study/fellowship group sure is. Also, I've now completed the exhaustive (read: minimal) training to be a lector, just in time for the fiftieth anniversary, as I was reminded, of the Church's decision to allow the laity to proclaim the Scriptures as part of the Mass. So, woot!

Yes, I'm more involved in my church than ever before, but I am still the same guy I always was, both for good & for ill.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "You Can't Win" from A Jackknife to a Swan (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "You Can't Win" seems to be principally concerned with the excesses of capitalism, especially the notion of unscrupulous fat cats profiting by the ignorance &/or apathy of the everyman. From the frequent sleep imagery in the lyrics, I cannot help but think of the title of the surprisingly useful & worthwhile film Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

"They're wide awake while you're still in bed…"

No comments: