Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Autobahn

I espied yesterday three motorcars driving in formation, nose to tail, each more identical than the last. The three autos' noses & tails were wrapped in some unknown material, all insignia & badges literally under wraps, while the bodies were painted in a white & black dazzle scheme (I've always preferred the more showy name "razzle-dazzle"), to obscure the fine details of the bodywork. Based on previous experience & the close proximity of Chrysler's world headquarters, I suspect the trio to belong to the larger Fiat Group fleet of vehicles, but what precise manner of Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, or Alfa-Romeo they might have been I cannot say.

Speaking of Chrysler products (remind me to relate the story of Where's Teddy?'s hilarious turn of phrase, "Speaking of canteens..."), when I approached the Lumi, the Distaff Son of the Mousemobile later that same day what should I see parked near my aging but still anonymous Lumina but that rolling embodiment of the ludicrous & the cool, the Dodge Viper. (An older-model Viper, so still a Dodge, not an S.R.T.) Not just a Viper, but a track-ready A.C.R. version, replete with enormous rear wing & carbon-fiber splitter & strakes up front. The "Snake" was painted black with a preposterously broad strip running the length of the mad machine, a stripe of the most hideous shade of neon green. There was a shiny snake-motiff border running around the vanity license plate, HAWLASP. (I presume this to be a play on "haul ass," the asp bit being both a successful bid to avoid foul language & a nod to the Viper's serpentine nature. I am puzzled as to why haul would be misspelt as "hawl." If there is already a HAULASP license plate out there, O.K., but if "HAWL" is purely a stylistic choice, then I narrow my eyes & shake my fist at the driver.) This was not the first Viper I've seen out in the wild, but it was the first of my experience to be equipped with so useful (on a race track) an aerodynamic device as that comically large rear wing. Not a rear spoiler, but an honest-to-Gurney rear wing.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Less Than Jake, "The Ghosts of Me and You" from Anthem (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The lyrics of "The Ghosts of Me and You" say both "the ghosts of me and you" & "the ghosts of you and me," depending on the need of the following line.

No comments: