Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day



Glenn Miller, "American Patrol" from Glenn Miller's 50 Finest (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: There is malaise in the air, the preposterous notion that America is finished, that our best days are behind us, that all we can do now is manage the decline. Poppycock, I say! I am not altogether immune to this smug cynicism, but pessimism has always been the lazy choice & I fed up with my own laziness, both physical & mental. Let us reject both cheap jingoism & smug anti-Americanism. Let us hold fast to the words of Carl Schurz, a man who was wrong about any number of issues but right in this most important respect: "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; if wrong, to be set right."

A word on the set dressing. The New York Stock Exchange? you ask. Wall Street? Corporations?! Yes, indeed. I've long argued & ever shall, that the twin pillars of human freedom are liberal democracy & free-market economics. Liberty & prosperity: America's gifts to a resentful world. This isn't a popularity contest, this is about doing what's right.

No comments: