Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Lord's Day

The Proclaimers, "Wages of Sin" from Notes & Rhymes (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: As the priest remarked at yesterday's vigil Mass, "No one is promised tomorrow."
"I've lead an average life,
I've told the truth and I have lied,
But I need a few more years
To help build up the credit side.

"So I hope (Hope, hope, hope and pray),
And I pray (Hope, hope, hope and pray),
That the wages of sin aren't paid today…"
Samstag, 12. März
The Proclaimers, "I Know" from Notes & Rhymes (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary:
"You'd lay your life down for this country,
Lay it down for fools like me,
I know, I know, I know you would.
You'd make the ultimate sacrifice,
Lose yourself on the throw of a dice,
I know, I know, I know you would.

"'Cause the line you come from stretches back
In an unbroken chain other countries lack,
Every single corner of the world
Has seen our banners be unfurled,
You've won and lost and battled on
Whether the cause was right or wrong.
God knows what you do to the enemy
'Cause you scare the living hell out of me.

"He'd lay his life down for his country,
He'd like to kill fools like me,
I know, I know, I know he would.
He'd make the ultimate sacrifice,
Blow himself to paradise,
I know, I know, I know he would.

"And the line he comes from stretches back
In an unbroken chain other countries lack,
To the furthered corners of the world
Where they watched out banner be unfurled,
He's won and lost and battled on
Whether his cause was right or wrong.
He's this generation's enemy
And he scares the living hell out of me…

"And the line we come from stretches back
In an unbroken chain no country lacks,
To the darkest corner of a cave
Where there's a weapon make to stave
Or gouge or choke or cut and kill,
In a hundred years we'll be fighting still,
I know, I know, I know we will."

No comments: