Friday, May 23, 2003

IT'S NARWHAL DAY!

The Oath of Narwhal Day
The narwhal is a noble, pitiable creature,
A magnificent, monstrous visage.
An asymetrical tooth for a horn,
Or sometimes two, or sometimes none,
Half again as long as the beast.

I swear my sympathy for the narwhal.
I will not lie and convince it all is well,
But I will be a friend to the narwhal.
The mocking dolphins and snobby manatees
Will get their well-earned comeuppance,
And the narwhal will frolic all day.

I dream this dream of the narwhal
And celebrate it in all its improbable, oddball glory,
On this the third Narwhal Day.

To celebrate Narwhal Day, one must do three things: a) wear gray, b) recite The Oath of Narwhal Day, and c) listen to "Sympathy for the Narwhal" by DJ Seaghost. Hurray, it's Narwhal Day!

the narwhal (Monodon monoceros) - also narwal or narwhale

No comments: