Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The New and Improved Crucifixion
This Lent has been a disaster from the word "Go": I was in Los Angeles at BTWest on Ash Wednesday and despite the assumed large number of Catholic churches in a city with such a prominent Latino population, I did not attend Mass on that holy day of obligation. I love Ash Wednesday. Easter and Christmas are great holidays to be a Christian, but Ash Wednesday is my favorite day of the year on which to be a Roman Catholic. (Though I am fast learning to love hating Guy Fawkes Day, November 5.) I love Ash Wednesday, and I missed it. After that, I just never found my footing. Not realizing Lent had started, I ate meat on the first Friday after Ash Wednesday ( a lovely ham and cheese submarine sandwich), I never decided on any Lenten sacrifices above and beyond the Friday prohibition against meat, and my attendence at Mass has been abyssmal. Lent in 2005 was awesome. I was in hardcore Catholic mode, at least as much as I am able. I went to confession (three cheers for the Sacrament of Reconciliation, a joy denied to those heretical Protestants) and I said several Rosaries. I made an active effort to love the faith and it made me fan fantastic. For forty days, I walked on air. This year has been a shambles. Still, I am trying to salvage some value here during Holy Week, and come hell or high water I am going to attend Mass on Good Friday as well as on Easter Sunday, even though Mom will be in Dayton visiting Grandma, meaning I'll going solo. I've done it before and I'll do it again.

Good Friday and Easter celebrate two of the three best days in the entire history of the world; it's time to make a big deal out of days that are a big deal.

Hooray for Double Standards
At dinner, the Goldbricker was once again railing against GM as a corporate sponsor of terrorism (he agrees with Arianna Hiffington's logic, always a sign that you've gone off the deep end), mere days after he and my mom purchased yet another vehicle from, of all companies, GM. If GM supports terrorism (a premise I reject) and he supports GM, and since we know that if A=B and B=C then A=C, by his own reasoning is not he in fact a supporter of terrorism? Hooray for double standards.

2 comments:

J.R. said...

Ash Wednesday is NOT a holy day of obligation! That's just what people who only show up to church 3 times a year think. I expect better from you.

Mike Wilson said...

It would be reasonable to expect better from me in 2014, as I am considerably more knowledgeable & considerably more devout than I was in '06, but I beg your forgiveness of my long-past mistake. The error was not only unintentional, but well-intentioned.