Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Victors: Halftime - Michigan 10-6 Miami of Ohio
Rich Rodriguez loves Nick "Suddenly I Miss John Navarre" Sheridan the way Lloyd Carr loved Drew Henson. And Rich Rod's man-love for the devil Sheridan will prove just as disastrous as Carr's hetero crush on Henson. By Lucifer's beard! So, what do we know about Rich Rodriguez? Two things: (a) his judgment is extremely questionable and (b) he possesses Lloyd Carr's single greatest weakness, but has thus far evidenced almost none of Lloyd's myriad and profound strengths. In the grandest tradition of Star Wars, I've got a bad feeling about this.

"George's man-love for a She-Jerry."

Go Blue!

6:48 P.M. - Addendum: This is exactly what I was talking about the other day. Never waste a moment's reflection on anything I write at halftime. I am completely worthless at halftime, utterly incapable of stepping back, removing myself from the heat of the moment, and viewing things with any scale or perspective. Arsehole. Sure, sure, occasionally my panicked halftime ranks contain nuggets of truth and, more rarely, genuine insight, but this is pure chance. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I am endeavouring to be a better, stronger man than I was this afternoon at halftime and I thank you humbly for your patience and tolerance between now and the achievement of that goal.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
MxPx, "The Next Big Thing" from The Ever Passing Moment (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Unlike Reel Big Fish's similarly themed "Sell Out," which is satire, in "The Next Big Thing" MxPx is in deadly earnest.

"How low can you go?
How low will you go,
To be the next big thing?"

Also of interest in any analysis is that MxPx has been far more commercially successful than either Johnny Socko or The Eyeliners.


Freitag, 5 September
The Eyeliners, "Next Big Thing" from No Apologies (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Gloriously angry girls, The Eyeliners:

"If you don't like me,
Well, I don't give a damn."

No comments: