Saturday, October 18, 2008

Scroll down or click here to play "Who Used To Own It? East Indies Edition - Round Two"! Only two have thus far tried their luck, be the third because "third time's the charm!"

The Victors: Penn State 46-17 Michigan
2-5, 1-2 Big Ten

In all frankness, this morning I thought there was a frightening good chance the valiant Wolverines of the University of Michigan would be shut out by the ferocious Nittany Lions of Pennsylvania State University; so, though we were shut out for the whole of the Bogawful second half, I was mightily pleased by our two good, long touchdown drives in the first. And, despite myself, I was even a little encouraged. Silly, really, optimism has no place in the season that saw the end of the longest bowl streak in history, a season that seems all but guaranteed to be the first losing campaign in almost two generations. But, such in my faith in the valiant Wolverines, even these hapless, lackluster valiant Wolverines, that for a few moments, until the Penn State touchdown drive at the end of the first half, I allowed myself to think that we might make a real game of it. I never entertained the thought of victory, but I thought we might lose by a touchdown or less, possibly involving some late game heroics on the part of one or another of the ferocious Lions.

Alas and alack, 'twas not so, for this is the year of our comeuppance, the year we learn that as much as we all loved Lloyd, he left the institution of Michigan football a shambles, and probably should have retired several years earlier. As I type them, those words taste like ashes, the agony transferred from my fingertips to my mouth; but, I believe them to be the truth. If Lloyd had stayed and Ryan Mallett had been our quarterback, and he'd gotten hurt, who'd be starting in his stead? Steven Threet. Would the traitor Justin Boren alone make that big a difference to the offensive line? Not that Coach Rodriguez and his seemingly ill-designed offensive scheme do not deserve piles of blame for this disaster, but increasingly it appears as if Lloyd and his staff left the cupboards quite bear when they left.

Holy moley, Michigan's season is going to come to an end with the Ohio State game. No weeks-long layoff until late December or New Year's Day. As long as I've been alive, longer, in fact, Michigan has never missed the bowl season. And now we will. This is the first time I've admitted to myself that we aren't going to a bowl. Before, I knew the chances we slim, but I thought we'd somehow pull it off, somehow earn our way to the Motor City Bowl or something. Or something. But it's not going to happen. Not this benighted year.

Those who stay will be champions. Not this year, not next year, but someday. Someday. Those who stay to the bitter, terribly bitter end... will be champions.

And even should it take a thousand years, these words will never lose their luster: Go Blue!

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
They Might be Giants, "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" from Flood (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night!"

Is there a more appealing, more purely fun album in all the world than
Flood? If so, Bog, I hope to learn of it sooner rather than later. Someone tell Plucky Duck to grab his fez and hop to it!

No comments: