Monday, April 26, 2010

The Secret Base of the Rebel Black Dot Society is back in business. Thanks, Geniuses!

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
The Get Up Kids, "Anne Arbour" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Last Winter, Anne Arbour was all I had!"

Sonntag, 25 April
William Shatner, "You'll Have Time" from Has Been (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Death has not been lurking about, not shadowing me lately, and for this I am grateful. I mean not to tempt fate with this R.B.D.S.O.T.D. selection, but now that The Squeak is returned home, restored to her parents, I can think of no finer meditation on the way time slips through all of our fingers than "You'll Have Time." I reveled in The Squeak's visit, but now that she is gone I know I could better have taken advantage of the time allotted us. Curse my slothful bones!

"Why did I waste it,
Why didn't I taste it?"


Samstag, 24 April
The Littlest Man Band, "Always Sayin'" from Better Book Ends (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"You're always sayin'
That it's all goin' better,
We'll I've seen you,
And it needs to.
God, I hope that it's all goin' better for you!
And you're sayin'
That it tastes so much sweeter,
Well I've been there,
And it's bitter.
God, I wish that I could feel sorry for you!"


Freitag, 23 April
John Hodgman, "Slingshot" from This American Life: Stories of Hope & Fear (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The R.B.D.S.O.T.D. isn't always a song.

"As metaphors for life and death on the Boardwalk go, gambling in Atlantic City is pretty promising, but the Slingshot is better, for two reasons: 1) Though it is unlikely, it may actually kill you. And 2) It reminds you that when you are close to death, and intimate with it, when you are spinning fast and high in the dark night with nothing around you, it is difficult to tell what is happening, it is difficult to be afraid. Far more difficult than it is on the ground."


Donnerstag, 22 April
The Puppini Sisters, "Bei Mir Bist Du Schön" from Betcha Bottom Dollar (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "It means you're the fairest in the land."

5 comments:

Kevin said...

I love "Anne Arbour"!

brenda cox giguere said...

Sloth? Hardly. I'm sure your mind is always hard at work, whether you realize it or not.

Welcome back. Your blog posts are party of my whole morning coffee thing around here.

brenda cox giguere said...

*part
not party

;)

Mike Wilson said...

The eyes see what they want to see: I read "part" even though, yes, it clearly reads "party." Now I'm saddened that my brilliance was isn't enough to transform your morning coffee routine into a party. ^_^

brenda cox giguere said...

Party, it is! Woo hooo!




b / cd

http://brendagiguere.blogspot.com