Friday, March 16, 2012

Lies, Damned Lies, & the News
It will be interesting to hear what sort of on-air mea culpa comes forth from this weekend's broadcast of This American Life: This American Lie. Ira Glass might well be as "horrified" as he says, but I'd bet Mitt Romney $10,000 that fewer minutes of airtime are devoted to correcting the fabrications presented on This American Life as facts than were initially spent presenting those fabrications as facts; so, of what genuine use is Mr. Glass's self-serving "horror"?

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
John Williams & the London Symphony Orchestra, "To Cairo" from Raiders of the Lost Ark: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I met Jojo downtown for a late lunch this afternoon & afterward we went for a stroll along the banks of the Flint River. It was a lovely stroll, but for the niggling detail that it felt as if I was walking along the surface of the Accursed Sun. Just one week earlier I was shuffling along very nearby streets for the Art Walk, my scarf & heavy overcoat bracing me against a bone-chilling wind. 'Twas winter then, 'tis summer now, & absent yesterday's swampy humidity my thoughts dwelt upon the desert, the endless sands & the open sky. Thus, "To Cairo."

No comments: