Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Explorers' Club
№ CCXCV - The Japanese spider crab (Macrocheira kaempferi).





Urbi et Orbi
We had a guest priest at Mass today. He was delivering a pretty good homily, tying together the day's Scriptures in a way that Father Anderson, Holy Redeemer's pastoral vicar, never does, when suddenly he veered far off the reservation. Father told us that "institutions" don't work; institutions never repent, even when told repeatedly by righteous men to repent. What our society needs is not institutions, but "movements." Movements will save us. Movements like Occupy Wall Street, & Occupy Flint, which had transformed our local community & "restored our dignity" (verbatim). Occupy Flint restored my dignity? Wow, neato! Maybe I should send Occupy Flint a nice fruitcake, a card at the very least—a token of my esteem & gratitude for the restoration of my & the community's dignity. My thanks to "Father Occupy" for opening my eyes to the nigh-miraculous way in which Occupy Flint had transformed the City of Flint & indeed all of Genesee County beyond all recognition, & all without anyone even noticing.

Church is always fun, sometimes for the oddest reasons.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Aloe Blacc, "I Need a Dollar" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: From my playlist, "Filthy Lucre," which also includes such pecuniary-themed tunes as "The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo," "We're in the Money," & "I Need a Dollar's" Great Depression-era analog "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?"

Samstag, 14 Juli
John Williams, "To Cairo" from Raiders of the Lost Ark: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (T.L.A.M.)

2 comments:

twg said...

I can't wait until that crab isn't the first thing on your page. ::shudder::

Mike Wilson said...

The text of this episode of "The Explorers' Club" originally included the additional clause, "proof that monsters are indeed real." 'Tis horrifying, I know.