Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Explorers' Club
№ CCCVIII - The Cathedral of Our Lady of Rheims.







Lies, Damned Lies, & the News
I had the misfortune of seeing a few moments of C.N.N. yesterday morning, & witnessed something extraordinary. The anchorwoman was discussing Thursday night's vice presidential debate 'twixt Messers. Biden & Ryan & wanted to highlight a poll, taken by C.N.N. immediately after the debate, regarding whom was considered the victor. The onscreen graphic read:

"Ryan 48%
Biden 44%

Margin of error +/-5"

To which the anchorwoman, Ashley Banfield, said, "So, I know, Biden clearly won the debate." I did not watch the vice presidential debate & thus have no informed opinion as to whom prevailed, but I do know a wee little bit about both mathematics & the English language. The results of the poll were within the margin of error, making it impossible to say either candidate "clearly" carried the day. But even considering the margin of error Representative Ryan drew a higher rating than Vice President Biden, making it impossible to say Mr. Biden "won." I'm torn as to which is more galling, the subjective left-wing bias or the objective falsity of asserting that forty-four is greater than forty-eight. Strike that, the doubt is erased. Definitely the objective falsehood.

I know, I know, it's my fault for not covering my ears & not running from the room screaming at the first sign of the plague that is twenty-four-hour cable news.

The Rebel Black Dot 007 Song of the Day
Chris Cornell, "You Know My Name" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Thus concludes the R.B.D.S.O.T.D.'s fête of the fiftieth anniversary of Dr. No, the first James Bond feature film. Here's looking forward, with some trepidation, to November's release of Skyfall.

No comments: