Friday, January 18, 2013

Project MERCATOR | Autobahn
Upon the morrow, I journey with Ska Army to the heart of Detroit to tour the North American International Auto Show. Despite all that has befallen the American automobile industry & both the State of Michigan & the City of Detroit, the automobile industry remains central to both the identity & the economy of the Wolverine State. It is unfathomable to me that I've lived in sacred Michigan for so many years & partaken of the splendors of the Auto Show so infrequently. This will be the second consecutive year of what I intend to be an annual tradition.

The Queue
I've been unable to reengage with Leviathan, & though it has not been reserved by any other library patron I'd hate to keep it off the library's shelves while it sits marooned on my nightstand. So I shall take a small respite & then resume Hobbes's weighty tome. The respite is Machiavelli's slim treatise, only seventy-one pages in my edition &, I suspect, unfairly maligned as sinister when in fact it is simply pragmatic. We shall see.

Recently
Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Master Mind of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs, A Fighting Man of Mars
Frank Miller, 300

Currently
Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince
Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan, or The Matter, Forme, & Power of a Common-wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civill ***suspended***

Presently
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Swords of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Synthetic Men of Mars
Sir Ernest Shackleton, South: A Memoir of the Endurance Voyage
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Llana of Gathol
Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Carter of Mars
Sir Richard Francis Burton, translator, The Arabian Nights (specifically, "Ali Baba & the Forty Thieves")
Richard Price, Clockers

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Herbie Hancock, "Cantaloupe Island" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: