Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Explorers' Club
№ CCCXXII - The life & crimes of "The Match King," Ivar Kreuger (1880-1932).







The Victors: Project OSPREY
(№ 2) Michigan 95-67 Iowa
15-0, Big Ten 2-0

I did not watch any of today's game, because tip-off was at noon & eleven o'clock Mass doesn't end 'til shortly after the Accursed Sun's zenith. Home again, we took down & put away the Christmas decorations, leaving the house looking, as ever at this time of year, slightly gloomy. (Appearing exactly thus, the house will look charming in a few days' time, but immediately after the negation of the decking of the halls, the walls are less gay, & thus ever so slightly gloomy.) Also, I meant to have the game on in the background as we worked, but it slipped my mind 'til about 2:15 P.M., but which point I knew my chance had passed. Alas! This—missing the game—was the worst calamity that befell me today, so I consider myself a preposterously fortunate chap.

Next: Nebraska at the Crisler Center, Wednesday night, 9 January.

Go Blue!

The Queue
Christmastide was as bad for Leviathan as it was for Operation ÖSTERREICH, but I hope to get both endeavours back on track this week. I saw a bit of the film 300 on television, & this prompted me finally to read the original comic.

Recently
Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Master Mind of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs, A Fighting Man of Mars
Frank Miller, 300

Currently
Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan, or The Matter, Forme, & Power of a Common-wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civill

Presently
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Swords of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Synthetic Men of Mars
Sir Ernest Shackleton, South: A Memoir of the Endurance Voyage
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Llana of Gathol
Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Carter of Mars
Sir Richard Francis Burton, translator, The Arabian Nights (specifically, "Ali Baba & the Forty Thieves")
Richard Price, Clockers
Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Epiphany
The Klezmonauts, "We Three Kings of Orient Are" from Oy to the World: A Klezmer Christmas (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The Klezmonauts present an instrumental rendition of "We Three Kings of Orient Are," else I should again quote the lyrics, as they are favorites of mine. My dearest hope is that the Christmastide was holy & prosperous for one & all, & that your faith & devotion were replenished anew by the celebration of the Christ's Mass.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: