Sunday, May 19, 2013

This Week in Motorsport
Indy Rock
Rather inadvertently, I wound up watching most of yesterday's "Pole Day" qualifying for the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race & today's "Bump Day" conclusion to qualifying. Yes, qualifying is spread over two days, approximately twelve hours of on-track availability. (For the average IndyCar Series race, qualifying takes less than an hour. Of course, the Indy 500 is anything but an average IndyCar Series race.) Pole Day was delayed by rain, but everything on the itinerary was squeezed in 'fore darkness descended; Bump Day was sunny & clear, though reportedly hotter than ideal. The oddest thing about all this is that I've no intention of watching the 500-Mile Race on the Sunday before Memorial Day. I've been roped in by that boondoggle before & I won't be snookered again. Oval races simply aren't worth watching.

I remarked to my father than one day I'd have to attend the Indianapolis 500, at which point he looked at me as if I had two heads. How do I square a desire not to watch the Indy 500 with a desire to attend the Indy 500? On television, all there is is the race, which is insufficient; in person, there might be much, much more. An analogy: I dislike baseball, but I love a day at the ballpark. I love a day at the ballpark for everything but the baseball being played. I intend one day to experience the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the 500 being almost ancillary to the exercise.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Shaggy featuring Rayvon, "Angel" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I've always liked Rayvon's rapped part of "Angel" better than Shaggy's sung part.

"Life is one big party when you're still young,
But who's gonna have your back when it's all done?
It's all good when you're little, ya 'ave pure fun,
Can't be a fool, son, what about the long run?"

No comments: