Monday, April 27, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day: SKApril!

Slow Gherkin, "Drunken Sailor" (live) from Double Happiness (T.L.A.M.)

Skammentary: I intentionally excluded Slow Gherkin from SKApril '14 because I'd noticed that they were All-Stars & did not regard them as on-par with such other All-Star bands as Mu330, The Hippos, or Mustard Plug. At the time, it escaped my notice that The Pietasters, a similarly "unworthy" band, had by sheer merit made their way into the august ranks of the All-Stars; this year, I did not exclude The Pietasters, as discussed on the day of their contribution to SKApril '15 (Wayback Machine). One cannot un-ring a bell. In the same way, I could never restore Slow Gherkin to All-Star status, even if I wished to do so; as I matter of fact I do not regret "sandbagging" them during SKApril '14. It will be interesting to see if my attitude toward The Pietasters changes & they are as intentionally "demoted" as were Slow Gherkin.

In any event, as discussed with the various SKAffirmative Action bands, there are no unworthy songs in SKApril, even as the bands are held in massively varying levels of esteem. I love modern interpretations of traditional songs such as "Drunken Sailor" (see: Dropkick Murphys's "Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya").

No comments: