Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Queue

The was much to like about Rediscover Jesus, but also much to dislike, which is par for the course with Kelly's peculiar way of expressing myself. I am not a perfect disciple, far from it, but I still sense that Kelly is writing more for the man I was a few years hence than the man I am today. Still, if his writing helps any single individual renew his or her relationship with the Lord, that is all to the good; in that vein, complimentary copies of Rediscover Jesus were handed out at all the Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Masses at Holy Redeemer. Rediscover Jesus is written in forty brief chapters, meant to be read either straight through as I've just done or as a Lenten daily devotional. (The cover is purple, the liturgical color of Lent & Advent.) I do not think I'll be rereading the book this Lent, though I expect much of the material to show up in Dynamic Catholic's daily "Best Lent Ever" e-mails.

Recently
Sam Posey, Where the Writer Meets the Road: A Collection of Articles, Broadcast Intros, and Profiles
Pope Francis, Laudato Si' (On Care for Our Common Home)
Matthew Kelly, Rediscover Jesus: An Invitation

Currently
Dr. John Bergsma, Bible Basics for Catholics: A New Picture of Salvation History

Presently
Pope Francis, The Church of Mercy: A Vision for the Church
Rice Broocks, God's Not Dead: Evidence for God in an Age of Uncertainty
Richard Price, Clockers
Sir Richard Francis Burton, translator, "Sinbad the Sailor" from The Arabian Nights
Sir Ernest Shackleton, South: A Memoir of the Endurance Voyage
Norman Davies, Vanished Kingdoms: The Rise and Fall of States and Nations
Hilaire Belloc, How the Reformation Happened
Michael White & Tom Corcoran, Rebuilt: The Story of a Catholic Parish

No comments: