Saturday, June 17, 2023

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKAfter Party

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "I Don't Want to Be You" from When God Was Great (Rude Boy Mike Papa Whiskey)

Skammentary: A few months ago, while I was driving & spied something I disliked, the thought went through my head, "There's a special place in Hell for people who—" when all of a sudden, from very much outside myself, the thought was completed, "who say there's a special place in Hell for others." I knew this was God the Holy Ghost, because I was cut to the heart like the Jerusalem crowds on Pentecost who heard Saint Peter accuse them of crucifying the Christ. There's a Popish Plot episode in there, when I get around to organizing my thoughts.

"I Don't Want to Be You" is the R.B.D.S.O.T.D. because the repetitive part of the chorus was running through my head, not the unfortunate last line.
"But there's a place for you,
There's a place for you,
There's a place for you,
There's a place for you,
A special place in Hell waiting for you…"
"I Don't Want to Be You" is the last song on the last album The Mighty Mighty Bosstones' released before their January 2022 breakup. Not the ideal last word after a brilliant, nearly forty-year tenure as a band. Let us all, each & every one, be mindful of our tongues, our pens, & keyboards, because none of us knows when our last words will be uttered, written, or typed.

No comments: