Thursday, February 10, 2005

Just remember, kids, it's important not to confuse rain, reign, and rein.

"She hates rain, so I hope it rains at her wedding."

"By the end of the short reign of Alexander the Great, his empire was so expansive that it could be fairly remarked, 'He reigns over the wide world.'"

"Rein in your temper or you'll never be handed the reins of this company."

The Rebel Black Dot Society - King of Prussia
Prompted by a question from Kiel, I have utilized ye olde internet to search for a real world band called "King of Prussia." To my disappointment, I successfully found one. So, should I change the name of Parker Peppard's band? Things to consider:

(a) I found only one reference to King Of Prussia, and it was from early 2002, now nearly three years ago. You snooze, you lose, and for all I know King Of Prussia is now defunct.

(b) The single mention gave me the impression that it's not a band, but one guy. I hate bands that are just one permanent guy and a bunch of mercenaries as backup, or at least I do when they use a real band name. Jason Mraz is fine (the name, not the music), but I hate both Nine Inch Nails and Bright Eyes (name and music). If you're just one guy, not a real, every-member-is-important band, use your fucking name, not a real band name.

(c) Parker Peppard is a fictional character, not a real person, and he is the fictional frontman for a fictional band made up of fictional people.

And so, after due consideration, Parker's band is still going to be called King of Prussia. It's a great name and I had never, ever heard of the real world King Of Prussia (the band, obviously I knew of the town) when I made it up. If In Search of the Perfect Lesbian is ever published and push comes to shove, and I can't use/get permission to use "King of Prussia," I'll simply rechristen the band "King of Prussia, PA." In the early days of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, they were simply The Bosstones; but, there was another Boston-area band alredy called The Bosstones, so they added the wickedly awesome "Mighty Mighty." Thus, to my thinking, King of Prussia, PA is legally distinctive from King Of Prussia.

And after push comes to shove, if worse comes to worst, I can always go back to the original name, which I still like (just but not as much), Polska. Ooo, or Hohenzollern. It rolls of the tongue... Hohenzollern....

Man Up
Donovan McNabb has disavowed the claims of his teammates that he was sick in the last minutes of Super Bowl XXXIX. Damn it, and I was so looking forward to hating him. Curse you, McNabb! Pay attention, kids, because that's how you man up: you not only refuse to make excuses, but you slap down the excuses of others. I'll never like Donovan McNabb and I'll never root for him (I can never forgive that Syracuse game), but I respect the hell out of him.

No comments: