Wednesday, January 4, 2006

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
I don't think I've ever enjoyed any Wisconsin or Ohio State victory as much as their dual wins in yesterday's bowl games (the Badgers bested Auburn 24-10 in the Capital One Bowl and the Buckeyes defeated hated Notre Dame 34-20 in the Fiesta Bowl). And Penn State's triple overtime victory over Florida State (26-23 in the Orange Bowl) was magnificent. Yes, the noble Big Ten finished a lamentable 3-4 for the bowl season, but the three best Big Ten teams all triumphed against quality opposition. No undue offense is meant to either The Professor, an alumnus of Florida State University, or Reed, an alumnus of the University of Notre Dame, but woo and hoo. Besides, as an alumnus of the oft-defeated University of Michigan, I know your pain all too well.

For those of you who are familiar with my implacable enmity for both the University of Wisconisn and THE Ohio State University and thus confused by my glee at their victories, all can be explained through three little words: Big Ten loyalty. Sure, I hate Wisconsin and Ohio State, but they're still family. We fight, but family always closes ranks when confronted with outsiders like Auburn (SEC), Notre Dame (independent), and Florida State (ACC). However, no mistake should be made, Big Ten loyalty does not extend to Michigan State, not that those losers will be going to a bowl game any time soon. I hate the Spartans under all circumstances.

And Now For Something Completely Different
Of late, I have been very intrigued by the name Millicent. How does Millicent Wilson sound? Millie Wilson. Yep, I definitely like it.

No comments: