Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Scroll down for another illuminating episode of "The Explorers Club."

The Anniversary Party presents The Why
We all know that 42 is the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything, but the bother is that none of us knows the precise question. We are left with middling substitutes, and here comes a herd now. What is the purpose of The Secret Base of the Rebel Black Dot Society? Why do I persist? What, if anything, do I hope to achieve by all this bluster and bombast? Before today, I had never considered such questions. Had they been posed, I would likely have scoffed, dismissed them as metaphysical claptrap. Purpose? Meaning? Feh. Spite and bitterness serve no "higher" purpose, they are ends unto themselves. As I said, before today. I once was blind, but now I see. The five extant years of The Secret Base and any and all the unknown years to come are justified in their entirety by eleven luminous words. I am, we are all, indebted to Her Majesty Skeeter:

Q: For Freud, what comes between fear and sex?

A: Fünf.

And just like that all is right with the world.

Caution: Vulgarity ahead.

Mission: Unpossible Zwei - Tag Fünf
The dark bastard is nothing if not persistent. Plotting, scheming, undermining, he is relentless. Fortunately, his words are as the Archfiend's, honeyed but hollow. The dark bastard serves no master, he has no high purpose. He is opposition for opposition's sake, and I shall not be bested by such a foe. When virtue flags, as it inevitably must, spite shall carry the day. I might have folded had the dark bastard not embraced lust's cause, but spite prevails. Virtue and reason fail, but spite prevails.

BTW South Song of the Day
Don Potthast, "I've Set Sail" from Eyeballs (T.L.A.M.)

"Hippogroff, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin was itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, only one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The stufy of zoology is full of surprises."
--Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

No comments: