Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A couple Saturdays back, either in between football games or during a commercial break (I am an inveterate and unashamed channel surfer), I caught the preamble to a N.A.S.C.A.R. Busch Series race. As absolutely soon as I'd inadvertently tuned in, the track announcer introduced a gentleman to give, of all things, the invocation. I have forgotten the gentleman's name, which is a shame as his invocation was staggering. He was incredibly charismatic and spoke openly of both the primacy of Christianity and the bloody necessity of the crucifixion of Christ Jesus. It was refreshing beyond words to hear a man sound so proud of his faith as a Christian without coming off as an Evangelical nutjob. (And he was Latino; so, I'm going to assume he's Catholic. Is that racist? I hope not.) So, color me stupefied, I've actually found something about N.A.S.C.A.R. not to hate.

And don't give me that look. I'm no turncoat.

In other news, Dr. Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, is a loon: twaddlelink. And this isn't even a particularly egregious example of his lunacy. Small wonder that huge swaths of the "Anglican Communion" are jumping ship to less radically liberal bishops, bishops less ashamed of their own faith and religious heritage.

Protestantism is anarchy, may they all fall upon each other in ceaseless infighting.

Yes, I know I really have to work on my spirit of Christian brotherhood. Maybe that'll be my next Lenten sacrifice; it would be a most exquisite torture to endure six weeks without breathing a word against our Protestant brethren. Ooo, intriguing....

Vive la France
You can judge quite a bit about a man's character based upon those who count themselves among his enemies. By that standard, Nicolas Sarkozy, President of the French Republic, must be a fine fellow indeed: strikelink et riotlink.

And of general interest, here is what the ever-helpful C.I.A. World Factbook has to say about our Gallic friends: spooklink.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Less Than Jake, "Plastic Cup Politics" from Anthem (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: