Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ricky Fitness
There was an individual of indeterminate gender in the weight room yesterday. And not due to baggy gym clothes, he or she was dressed in shorts and a sleeveless shirt. This was the most androgynous person I'd ever seen. I could have taken the deeply inappropriate step of following her or him back to her or his locker room, but that would have been unconscionable. We are trying to conduct a civilization here, and that kind of lurking simply cannot be tolerated. Besides, I think I like the mystery, it makes life just that little bit more thrilling.

The Victors: Lamentations
There has been much gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes. I am quite alright, my usual dementedly chipper self, unless and until I actively think about Saturday, at which point reason fails and I feel myself torn between the twin temptations of rage and despondency. I damn the Stoics for their inhumanity, but at this moment I find myself deeply envious of their self-mastery.

I must remember Keith Primeau, and the inner monologue of the Batman in so very many comic book tales: pain is a teacher. Disappointment can be invaluable. Learn from this. And as Jim Kirk said, "I need my pain!" Who am I to argue with Bruce Wayne and James T.?

Go Blue!

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Reel Big Fish, "The Set Up (You Need This)" from Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album, Disc 1: More Shtick Than You Can Shake a Stick At (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Interestingly, on Our Live Album is Better Than Your Live Album's back cover the song is identified simply as "The Set Up." However, on the original album Why Do They Rock So Hard?, the title is given as "The Set Up (You Need This);" I shall defer to the original album and treat the live record's title as lazy shorthand.

No comments: