Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Happy Birthday: I'm a Jerk
A belated happy birthday to The Professor! The Professor is the kind of guy who genuinely won't care that these congratulations are four days late, but I still feel like a heel. Sorry, buddy, I hope your birthday was spectacular. Happy birthday, Jon!

Comparatively on time, being only two days behind schedule.

The Explorers Club
No. LXIV - The Fall of Singapore, February 1942.





Also of interest is the Battle of Malaya that allowed the Empire of Japan to besiege Singapore, which will almost certainly be its own installment of "The Explorers Club" at a later date.

The Endurance
I have not spoken on the telephone to Codename PANDORA in three weeks. Our last few conversations since the New Year had been relatively short as she'd become extremely harried at work, and I identified two potentially unfortunate items: a) I feared, however slightly, that I might be unfairly intruding upon her very limited free time and b) I initiated nearly all of our exchanges. So, I decided to conduct an experiment I have conducted on several different occasions in the past: I would wait for her to call. Not to call me back, but to initiate a call.

The analogy is imperfect since I was not at the time attempting to woo her, but in college I conducted a similar experiment with Skeeter. I did not initiate contact with her and as a result we did not speak for nearly six months; even when we did, I again initiated. To be fair, Skeeter's boyfriend at the time was attending school in Boston and she spend a good many weekends visiting him, and then occupied her weekdays catching up on not having studied over the weekend. Much later we actually discussed the experiment and, if I recall correctly, had a good laugh about the absurdity of the exercise.

Back in the present, or at least the very recent past, I did not hear from The Sardine for a week, the deadline for my capitulation. Yet, I did not call her, I found reasons to hesitate. And then the dreadful sick descended, and I was in no mood to ring anyone. I called her on Thursday, leaving a message, and we've been playing phone tag since. I'm short on analysis as to what, if anything, this means. Perhaps nothing more than she's busy and I'm pigheaded, perhaps something altogether more sinister. Or perhaps something altogether sillier. Ooo, I hope there's cotton candy in my immediate future.

This seems a good time to repeat the family motto of Sir Ernest Shackleton, from whence this features derives its name: By endurance we conquer.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Less Than Jake, "3 Quarts Drunk" from Pezcore (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: