Thursday, March 27, 2008



Like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern before him, Richard Widmark is dead. R.I.P. This leaves a particularly bitter taste in my mouth as in a random snippet of conversation given voice a scant three months ago, just shy of the New Year, I ranted to The Sardine, and here I must paraphrase myself, "And what's wrong is that today's kids don't even know who Richard Widmark is."

"Who?" she asked innocently.

Why Richard Widmark? I cannot say, but instantly upon the conclusion of the utterance this example struck me as bizarre; and thus I marked it specifically for later recall. Adding an almost unsettling twist, The Sardine called yesterday, the very day the world learned for the death. This was out of the blue as we had not spoken in a fortnight and a half. Spooky. She and Richard Widmark, God rest his soul, tethered forever in my recollection.

Those seeking more information about the late Mr. Widmark's wide-ranging, decades-spanning, and laudable body of work may wish to consult the filmography available courtesy of the Internet Movie Datebase: I.M.D.B.link.

Loathe though I am to quote Shelley, "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" seems apropos to the moment.

Project TROIKA
The endeavour took another step forward today. After work, I stopped by the library and checked out a book specifically and solely to better acquaint myself with a proposed facet of the novel's plot. My interests are many of varied, but without the impetus of the project this particular tome would never have achieved the priority evidenced by today's borrowing. This is but the first of many such volumes, mark my words. I shall name neither the book nor the general field of inquiry, as this might well sunder the veil of secrecy so entwined in the very fabric of Project TROIKA, but I wished to share my excitement at the very notion of aspiring writer-specific research.

Project TROIKA: Grow or die.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
John Linnell, "West Virginia" from State Songs (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: In honor of this evening's Xavier-West Virginia contest. Go to Hell, Bob Huggins.

Mittwoch, 26 März
Letters to Cleo, "Jennifer" from Wholesale Meats and Fish (T.L.A.M.)

Coming Attractions
Who Used To Own It? and Project OSPREY tomorrow.

No comments: