Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Irrevocable Shackles of Matrimony: Matrimania - D.C.
We returned from the magnificence of the nuptial festivities late Sunday evening, and upon waking Monday morning I was in the midst of a head cold. I awoke amid the dizziness I've come to recognize as the hallmark of sinus cavities choked with compacted snot (lovely, I know) and only slowly have I been regaining my feet. I was during this interval fully ambulatory and functional, 'twas only a cold, but I've been surly and insociable.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Barenaked Ladies, "For You" (live) from Talk to the Hand: Live in Michigan (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: And whilst in the District of Columbia I actually did use my right hand and left index finger to indicate from where in Michigan my family and I hail. Whatever must people from other states do, the poor devils?

Dienstag, 6 Mai
Fountains of Wayne, "Trains & Boats & Planes" from Out-of-State Plates, Disc 1 (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: My mind's eye cannot help but dwell upon the ruby red lips of the girl with whom I danced for very nearly all of the evening of my sister's wedding reception. She, Sarah, insisted she was a clumsy dancer, but for all the world I swear she glided as if held aloft upon wings of gossamer.

Montag, 5 Mai
Dan Potthast, "Heavy" from Eyeballs (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Expect lots of Dan Potthast, a.k.a. Steve Roelle, the missing Roelle brother, and Mu330 as we near Matrimania - St. Louis, now less than three weeks distant. Of course, the whole purpose Matrimania - St. Louis lies in direct opposition to "Heavy," but it's still a delightful song with good advice for all new couples in the fresh bloom of love and/or lust.

Sonntag, 4 Mai
Fountains of Wayne, "Michael and Heather at the Baggage Claim" from Traffic and Weather (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Of course, all the signs at Detroit Metropolitan Airport - note the splendid absence of the word "international" - say "luggage claim" rather than "baggage claim." I share F.O.W.'s preference for the double meaning of the word baggage.

Samstag, 3 Mai
James Darren, "Here's to the Losers" from This One's From the Heart (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The last unwed Wilson sibling would like to raise a toast to the forlorn chaps who lost out on the Jadzia Dax sweepstakes, Quark, a true pillar of the community, and the talented Dr. Julian Bashir. Here's to you, lads, God love ya.

Freitag, 2 Mai
Dance Hall Crashers, "Remember to Breathe" (live) from The Live Record - Witless Banter and 25 Mildly Antagonistic Songs of Love (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Exactly the way love should be, mildly antagonistic.

Donnerstag, 1 Mai
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, "Leaving On a Jet Plane" from Have a Ball (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: This was, I believe, my fourth trip to Washington, D.C., and yet the very first time I approached the city by aeroplane. Death from above!

No comments: