Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Doctor Who Season Four
"Voyage of the Damned" ('07 Christmas Special)

"Partners in Crime"
"The Fires of Pompeii"
"Planet of the Ood"
"The Sontaran Stratagem" Pt. 1
"The Poison Sky" Pt. 2
"The Doctor's Daughter"
"The Unicorn and the Wasp"
"Silence in the Library" Pt. 1
"Forest of the Dead" Pt. 2
"Midnight"
"Turn Left"
"The Stolen Earth" Pt. 1
(to be concluded)

The Loot
A most profitable birthday, my friends! The loot flowed freely and all gifts, with one most welcome exception, were in accordance with my birthday list, officially styled, "The Summer of Indiana Jones: Mike's 2008 Birthday Wish List."

{Literature}
Mike Mignola, et al., The Hellboy Companion (Mom & Dad)
Mike Mignola, Hellboy: Strange Places (Mom & Dad)

{Motion Pictures & Television Series}
Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Lethal Weapon 3
Lethal Weapon 4
* (***censored***)
The 4400 - The Fourth Season (***censored***)

{Music}
John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (***censored***)
Less Than Jake, GNV FLA (***censored***)
She & Him, Volume One (Mom & Dad)

{Miscellany}
Pan Am Washbag (The L.A.W. & Brother-in-L.A.W.)
Fancy pants grown up watch (Mom & Dad)
Largess to purchase a pair of proper running shoes (Mom & Dad)

I also received a number of birthday greetings through the Facebook... but of course the value of these is slightly, ever so slightly diminished in that the well-wishers were reminded of the occasion by that selfsame Facebook. The Sardine was the first to express her wishes for a happy birthday an hour before midnight the evening prior, and she was kind enough to ring again on the day itself, both times leaving messages on my mobile; The Guy and Dr. Hee Haw left comments here at The Secret Base; and Skeeter has declared herself a "total jerk" for not wishing me a happy birthday until yesterday. As a family we watched The Day of the Jackal after dinner (kielbasa!), cake, and presents; only later did I catch up on videotaped broadcasts of, in descending order of affection, Doctor Who, Psych, Monk, and Stargate Atlantis. 'Twas a most joyous and satisfactory last birthday of my twenties!

To any and all who feel the slightest pang of guilt over not personally expressing any birthday wishes, I have always hewed to the philosophy of Moe Syzslak, "I'm a well-wisher in that I wish you no specific harm."

There are now thirty-one years remaining until my demise, three decades and change before I become The Late Angry Man. Thirty-one years to build a career, cement a legacy, take a wife, and sire children. Eh, I'll start tomorrow. Maybe next week.

*All four came packaged in one standard-sized D.V.D. case as "4 Film Favorites"! I had not requested the Lethal Weapons, but they were a glaring whole in my woefully inadequate action film section.

The Venture Bros. Season Three
"Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny"
"The Doctor Is Sin"
"The Invisible Hand of Fate"
"Home Is Where the Hate Is"
"The Buddy System"
"Doctor Quymn, Medicine Woman"
"What Goes Down, Must Come Up"
"Tears of a Sea Cow"
"Now Museum, Now You Don't"
(cont'd)

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
She & Him, "I Thought I Saw Your Face Today" from Volume One (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "No, I couldn't help but fall in love again."

No comments: