Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Explorers Club
No. CXCIX - Lucy (Australopithecus afarensis) & her discovery by Donald Johanson (b. 1943) & Tom Gray (b. 19??), et alii.







Master Debating
I am returned from Toronto, Ontario, Canada & the Hart House Invitational, hereafter known as either the "Horror of Hart House" or the "Hart House Horror," dependent upon which I ultimately choose. I am exhausted by a combination of sleep & caloric deprivation, combined with the ruinous effects of severe dehydration over the course of the last three days. For reasons I will never fathom, the campus of the University of Toronto is all but devoid of drinking fountains, & exacerbating matters the tournament supplied precious little in the form of potable water. How on Earth did our clever Canuck cousins expect a public speaking competition to be conducted sans water to wet the speakers' whistles?

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Avril Lavigne, "I'm With You" from Let Go (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Isn't anyone trying to find me?" Actually, I was rather popular this weekend. I was unable to access my voicemail whilst in the Great White North, but received a pair of calls from my father updating me on all the Big Ten action ("The Victors," based on what I can glean from accounts of the loss, coming soon) & a call each from The Guy & K. Steeze.

Samstag, 16 Oktober
Barenaked Ladies, "It's All Been Done" from Stunt (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Someone said something, I cannot recall what, & spontaneously both The M.A.P. & I sang, "It's all been done, ooo whoo hoo hoo!" Good times.

Freitag, 15 Oktober
Bob & Doug McKenzie with Geddy Lee, "Take Off" from Great White North (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "This is, uh, the hit single section of our album."

2 comments:

brenda cox giguere said...

Yikes! Given that nothing is more fundamental than drinking water, that scenario strikes me as extremely strange.

Mike Wilson said...

Toronto is a funhouse, a nightmare in which reality is skewed & naught is as it should be.