Tuesday, October 5, 2010

He's Dead, Jim
I picked up my new spectacles this afternoon. My plan is to wear them indoors for the rest of the day, switching to my sunglasses for motoring. I've no intention of becoming a permanent eyeglass wearer, but I do want to give these new spectacles a fair assessment, even if that assessment leads me to reconsider the permanence of my spectacle-wearing. I concede that it is entirely possible that I haven't been seeing as well as I could have, instead limping along on the undeniable strength of my left eye. But, let's not put the cart before the horse; first, let's see if I get through the rest of the day without a splitting headache.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Spike Jones & His City Slickers, "Leave the Dishes in the Sink, Ma" from The Spike Jones Anthology (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: On Sunday, after the conclusion of the debate tournament, the team played tourists, including visits to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, & the Santa Monica Pier. In Hollywood, where we lunched, we happened upon the Walk of Fame & the spied the star of Spike Jones. I made joyous noises at this happenstance, prompting our coach, The M.A.P., to ask me how many of the people who saw Spike Jones's star thought it was in recognition of his namesake Spike Jonze. Depressed by the thought, I began to give a maudlin answer until an idea occurred to me, and was immediately uttered, about how sensational Spike Jones's music videos would have been. The M.A.P. & I were both pleased to expound briefly on how Spike Jones could easily have beaten Spike Jonze at the latter's own game.

Autobahn
Based on my observations, B.M.W.s in Beverly Hills seemed as common as Chevrolets are in Michigan, in essence the default motorcar. Far fewer in number, though still not uncommon, were Porsches. I saw one Ferrari & one Maserati. The default motorcar in the rest of greater Los Angeles was either a Toyota or a Honda.

1 comment:

twg said...

First, seeing the nickname of your friend made me think of a joke about Dora the Explorer I once saw on comedy central.

Second, I wish I was in LA.

Seems like you had a nice time out there, either way.