Monday, October 18, 2010

Objective ZED ALPHA
It's going to be an interesting experience watching episodes that I watched being taped while sitting amongst, though simultaneously apart from, the studio audience. My V.C.R. stands ready to preserve this week's episodes for as long as the magnetic tape lasts, assuming of course nothing happens to degauss it; they will be recorded on the same tape as the Biography episode about George Lucas & the U.S.A. network's broadcast of the A.F.I. tribute to same. Many of my V.H.S. tapes are used over & over & over again, but this one is of a different ilk, this one is for posterity.

Thursday is the day my contribution to this saga begins. Check your local listings for broadcast times in your media market.

Adendum, 10:32 P.M.: Yeah, wow, that was weird. Déjà vu? Not quite, but uncanny all the same. A fuller recounting of the Objective ZED ALPHA experience will follow next week or soon thereafter. Come to think about it, I should start on that now, & just hold off on publication.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Barenaked Ladies, "One Week" from Stunt (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"You'll think you're looking at Aquaman.
I summon fish to the dish; although I like the Chalet Swiss,
I like the sushi 'cause it's never touched a frying pan.
Hot like wasabi when I bust rhymes…."

The best meal we had in the Great White North was at a Swiss Chalet about half an hour outside of Toronto; Swiss Chalet is a chain of "casual dining" restaurants that specialize in rotisserie chicken. It was a fine meal, though by no means great, but due to the purely comparative nature of "best" it was indeed our best meal. As one might expect from this, the esteem in which I hold Toronto, a city that had fascinated & delighted me since my only other visit approximately twenty years hence, was dealt a savage blow. I'm not quite prepared to write, "If I never again set foot in Toronto, it will be too soon," but only just.

7 comments:

The Guy said...

By the by, 3:30pm is when it airs around here. This is why I haven't watched it since getting an 9-5, but isn't that a dumb time slot?

DVR.

Mike Wilson said...

That is a staggeringly dumb time slot. Weak, Saint Louis, just weak.

The Guy said...

Yeah, and it is several hours away from Wheel of Fortune. I didn't know that was even legal.

Mike Wilson said...

Early in the day, when the studio audience first arrived, we were all treated to a promotional video, narrated by Tom Selleck (!), on the decades-long presence in our culture of Jeopardy! & Wheel of Fortune. The two shows are produced by the same folks & altogether linked at the hip; I'm quite surprised that their syndication agreements allow the two shows to be split up like that. Something untoward might be afoot on the banks o' the Mississippi.

twg said...

My little friend TFS sent me a text on Tuesday to specifically bitch about some "hipster piece of crap" on the show who answered "struggle, struggle against the dying of the light" instead of rage during one question... I thought it was funny that you were probably there.

twg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike Wilson said...

(I deleted the duplicate.)

I was there, & all of us sitting in the audience were screaming inside our heads, "'Rage, rage'… rage, you silly putz!" That kid was more amusing than he was annoying, but only just.