Monday, October 25, 2010

The Explorers Club
No. CCI - The life & wars of Frederick Townsend Ward (1831-1862), founder & captain of the Ever-Victorious Army.









Regular readers may recall that I dislike using photographs from the Wikipedia, wishing to give readers a broader visual frame of reference, but in the case of ward I found only one image of the man that was not some inferior form of his portrait as featured on the Wikipedia, & that image was only 100-some pixels x 100-some pixels, too wee for our purposes.

Operation AXIOM
Two months to the day until Christmas, & right on schedule I transmitted via electronic mail to my kin my Christmas wish list. The two-month deadline was established some years hence in order to give everyone plenty of time to get their shopping done prior to Christmastide.

Returning to a holiday much closer at hand, I have yet to carve our pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns. I'd vaguely planned to do so last weekend, but that was before our house mysteriously relocated to the surface of the Accursed Sun (see: R.B.D.S.O.T.D. commentary, below). I also had an inspiration for a new costume, allowing me to keep the costume I'd intended to wear in reserve, which will also allow me to continue making incremental improvements. Slowly but surely I am regaining the Halloween enthusiasm of my youth, & rediscovering the commitment to preparation that was that enthusiasm's hallmark.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, "(Love is Like a) Heat Wave" from Motown 1's (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: What the %#¢& is going on with this Indian summer? It's so hot inside my house that I can't even think straight. The overnight low is supposed to be only five degrees cooler than the afternoon high! When the hell did I move to Hyderabad? (Yes, I know that "Indian summer" doesn't refer to India, Hyderabad just leapt to mind as a horrifically hot burg.)

No comments: