Friday, June 17, 2011

Project GLOWWORM
I've been a hypocrite, I recognize this, I am chagrined over this, & I mean to make amends if only I could devise a method. I've complained long & bitterly about my inadvertent membership in the "tattoo club," by which I mean the habit of other tattooed lads & lasses to strike up conversation with me specifically if not solely because I am inked, too. In the months since the shorn aftermath of the Banzai Beard Bonanza II: Bonsai's Revenge & the Magnificent Moustache Malarkey gave way to whiskers as a way of life I have been guilty of pressing blokes into a "beard club." I've gone out of my way to compliment impressive beards & moustaches, speaking to chaps I would otherwise have ignored to exhort them to keep up the good work, little enough different than was done to me courtesy of my first tattoo.

I received a large number of compliments in kind on my moustache, though that was never my purpose in exhorting others. This is what first gave me pause. I was mortified at the idea that someone might think I was fishing for compliments about my own whiskers. I then began to ponder what I might inadvertently be doing. What did I hope to accomplish by praising other beards & moustaches? My whiskers been pilloried from certain quarters, both by those who think them genuinely unattractive & those who denounced them as simply unfashionable. I presumed that other beard- & moustache-wearers had also faced such slings & arrow & sought to lend them some moral support. I've examined my conscience & do believe that my motives really were that pure, & that naïve. Yet naïveté is no excuse for such rank hypocrisy! I should have either regarded more kindly my fellow tattoo-wearers or I should have held my tongue toward my whiskered fellows. I did neither, painting me as a base hypocrite. For this I am sorry.

I am open to & would be appreciative of ideas for how I might make amends for my hypocrisy.

Project MERCATOR
I face a trifling conundrum of a sort I have not too often confronted of late: dual social invitations. Or should than be dueling social invitations? The Action Hero has invited me to a bonfire at his house in B.F.E. The Impossible Ingenue has invited me to a screening of the new motion picture Green Lantern.

Update: The die is cast, I've decided for Green Lantern &, 'tis hoped, crossed into Project PANDORA's bailiwick by extending the invitation to The Redhead… about whom I've not published (read: composed) the relevant "Project MERCATOR | Project PANDORA" post. Would you believe that I'm getting to it?

The Queue
Now that I've read the finale of Queen & Country I remember why I stopped reading the series short of its finale: I am not nearly so enamored of series protagonist Tara Chace as was writer Greg Rucka. Heroine worship trumped all other story considerations, dooming the venture. Little enough time has been lost, & such experimental reads are one of the great advantages of borrowing from a lending library. Back to gentleman thievery I go. Raffles! Raffles! Raffles!

Recently
Drew Karpyshyn, Star Wars: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
E. W. Hornung, The Amateur Cracksman
Greg Rucka & various artists, Queen & Country: Operation: SADDLEBAGS & Operation: RED PANDA

Currently
E. W. Hornung, The Black Mask

Presently
Anthony Hope, Rupert of Hentzau
John Buchan, The Thirty-nine Steps
John le Carré, The Honourable Schoolboy
...
Jeffery Deaver, Carte Blanche

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Sam & Dave, "Soothe Me" (live) from the Rhino Hi-Five: Sam & Dave E.P. (T.L.A.M.)

2 comments:

the guy said...

The answer, for me, is obvious. Be nice to the inked. You don't have to engage them, but if they engage you then be kind.

Forgive yourself for what has passed. Brush off, and move on.

Mike Wilson said...

I was always nice to the inked! Jumpin' Jack Pratt, man, you know how effective a façade I can parade around in from of strangers. I only spoke ill of them after the fact, well away from their hearing in venues such as The Secret Base & my journal. Hypocrisy I'll own up to, but not discourtesy.