Sunday, June 5, 2011

This Week in Motorsport
By this time next Sunday, the 79th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans will have been run. In other words, there's less than a week to prepare for the single best day of motorsport for the whole next year. Prepare thyself for the grand prix of endurance! Prepare thyself for la ronde infernale! Prepare thyself for the 24 Heures du Mans!

Prepare thyself by watching Steve McQueen's ode to the great race, Le Mans.



Project MERCATOR
A busy, but not too busy weekend in MERCATOR, with the welcome but unexpectedly early return of The Loose Ties, the promise of more shows to come (!), & out a left field I was asked out on & participated in a quasi-date (properly, that should be classified under Project PANDORA). More to follow.

No, I did not "bury the lead," the 24 Hours of Le Mans is far more important than making time with a long-legged redhead. Comely lasses come & go, but Le Mans is forever.

The Queue
Darth Bane: Path of Destruction is a misery, proof positive that there are few things so un-Star Wars as the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I would abandon the fetid nightmare & gleefully assign it to the ashcan it so richly deserves were it not for this accursed sense of obligation to Ska Army. I wish to make him suffer for inflicting this horror upon me, but my hand is stayed by the knowledge that he was trying to do good. How could I punish the lad? His intentions were as pure as the driven snow, curse his bones. So, I shall continue to the end, but will make a hack job of the read. Rarely exercised speed reading skills, don't fail me now!

If The Amateur Cracksman pans out as I hope it will The Black Mask could jump the queue & displace The Thirty-nine Steps.

Recently
John le Carré, Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Spy
"Richard Castle," Heat Wave
Sloane Crosley, I Was Told There'd Be Cake

Currently
Drew Karpyshyn, Star Wars: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

Presently
Anthony Hope, Rupert of Hentzau
E. W. Hornung, The Amateur Cracksman
John Buchan, The Thirty-nine Steps
or
E. W. Hornung, The Black Mask

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Mike Doughty, "I Hear the Bells" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Amongst its many other virtues, "I Hear the Bells" is celebrated for the inclusion of the word "ampersand" in its lyrics.

Samstag, 4 Juni
The Link Quartet, "Alfa Romeo Duetto" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: