Friday, February 10, 2012

The Queue
Some of the short stories in Hauntings were magnificent triumphs, others were spectacular failures & utter wastes of time. I discovered authors whose works I wish to investigate further & authors whom I would not read again for love or money. Overall, I was reminded that I greatly prefer to the novel to the short story, prizing the virtues of the longer form. Still, I declare Hauntings a success as an experiment.

Recently
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin: The Calculus Affair, The Red Sea Sharks, & Tintin in Tibet
Hergé, The Adventures of Tintin: The Castafiore Emerald, Flight 714, & Tintin and the Picaros
Henry Mazzeo, editor, & Edward Gorey, illustrator, Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural

Currently
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan of the Apes

Presently
H. Rider Haggard, King Solomon's Mines
David Ignatius, Body of Lies
Len Deighton, City of Gold

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Fountains of Wayne, "Valley Winter Song" from Welcome Interstate Managers (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Snow, clouds, ice, at long last.

"What else is new? What can I do,
But sing this valley winter song I wrote for you?"


Donnerstag, 9 Februar
Brian Carpenter's Ghost Train Orchestra, "Ghost Train (Orchestra)" from Hothouse Stomp: The Music of 1920s Chicago and Harlem (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: