Tuesday, February 14, 2012



We're going with a classic photograph this year, because this is still my favorite anti-Valentine's Day image.

Operation AXIOM: Be My Anti-Valentine
I'm not anti-love; I'm an incurable romantic. My objection to Valentine's Day is not rooted in opposition to a celebration of romantic love. I'm not anti-capitalist; I rather enjoy a well-crafted bit of marketing. My objection to Valentine's Day is not rooted in opposition to an orgy of conspicuous consumption. I am lonely, not simply alone, but my objection to Valentine's Day is rooted in more than just envy; I fully concede that envy is a component, just not the only or even the paramount component. Valentine's Day is awful, awful in much the same way that reality television is awful. Valentine's Day reflects the debasement of our culture, the striving to lower rather than to elevate the level of the discourse. I hate Valentine's Day. I hated Valentine's Day in the past, I hate Valentine's Day now, & I will still hate Valentine's Day after I meet, woo, & wed The Last Angry Bride.

Be my anti-Valentine.

A retrospective on Valentine's Days past here at The Secret Base, with all the bitterness, invective, & redirected loneliness you'd expect:

Valentine's Day '11

Valentine's Day '10

Valentine's Day '09

Valentine's Day '08

Valentine's Day '07

Valentine's Day '06

Valentine's Day '05

Valentine's Day '04

The Rebel Black Dot Song of Valentine's Day
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Magic of Youth" from The Magic of Youth (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: More goes wrong in "The Magic of Youth" than just the failure of young love, but it all stems from that. Welcome to the meanest week in the R.B.D.S.O.T.D.'s whole year.

"She had been counting on some of the lies
That he had been telling her being the truth…"

No comments: