Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Rebel Black Dot Municipal Songs of the Day
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "They Came to Boston" from More Noise and Other Disturbances & The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "I Want My City Back" from A Jackknife to a Swan (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: No, your eyes do not deceive you, sports fans, there are not one but two R.B.D.S.O.T.D., a first in the history of The Secret Base. Neither is a "Bonus!" R.B.D.S.O.T.D., both "They Came to Boston" & "I Want My City Back" are to-day's normal R.B.D.S.O.T.D. Both "I Want My City Back" & "They Came to Boston" are a native's screed against outsiders, be they tourists, college students (our nation's only desirable transients), gentrifying commercial interests, or transplants from outside the Commonwealth. (Sorry, The Watergirl; I'm sure they'd soften their attitude if they knew you.)

"I want my city back!
Back the way it used to be!
I want it back the way it was!
I look around and found
This doesn't feel like my hometown,
And I don't like the way it does…"

1 comment:

twg said...

Eh, I've lived and paid taxes in the Commonwealth for ten years. I consider myself a full-fledged Bay Stater, even if I don't drop my Rs.