Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What's Eating The Last Angry Man?

I had occasion this morning to motor along Center Road south of I-69 & during that sojourn I espied a small convenience store/stop-&-rob called the Center Road Market. The elevated sign by the side of the road read "CENTER Rd. MRK;" I habitually abbreviated the word market as "mkt.," but that's a personal preference & I know of no rule that makes "mrk." any less correct than "mkt.," that I still think "mkt." to be superior & "mrk." easily confused with, for example, "mark." That's really neither here nor there. What drew my ire was not the main sign but the solicitation just below: "Try our delicious taco's." Try your delicious taco's what? What is it that the Center Road Market's singular delicious taco possesses that passersby might wish to try? "Try our delicious taco's" is nonsensical & I narrowed my eyes in contempt. "Try our delicious tacos" would have been a warmly received invitation, your humble narrator having a curious affection for filling station food, & viewing convenience store food as a close cousin; "Try our delicious taco's" was tantamount to an insult, an obscene gesture directed at all of Western civilization. The barbarians are not at the gate, they are around us & amidst us—and they are butchering the mother tongue.

That's what's eating The Last Angry Man.

No comments: