Friday, October 2, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The One with the Woes All Over It" from Medium Rare (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Skammentary:
"Now let me make one thing perfectly clear:

"You brought us up to the altar,
I had no business being up there,
I wanted to fuss, fail, or falter,
I stood like Gibraltar for seven long years…"
There aren't enough references to Gibraltar generally nor to the Rock of Gibraltar specifically in everyday discourse. Partially as a consequence of this, if one uses an internet search engine to investigate the lyrics of "The One with the Woes All Over It," one counters very strange renderings of the last line quoted above, such as "I stood like to Walter for seven long years." Context, people! In what possible context could "I stood like to Walter" make the least bit of sense? A paucity of Gibraltar similes & a surfeit of contextual awareness. What a happy duo! How auspicious for Western civilization!

No comments: