Sunday, November 12, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Lord's Day

Flogging Molly, "Rebels of the Sacred Heart" from Drunken Lullabies (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: A bad Catholic's anthem, which struck me as apropos for a day when the gospel reading is about the five wise virgins & the five foolish virgins. If you give up waiting for the Bridegroom before He comes, then of course you won't be welcome at the wedding banquet. No one is lost this side o' the grave except he who has ceased to try, who has given up hope.
"Now I'm aiming for heaven, but probably wind up down in hell,
Where upon this altar I will hang my guilt-ridden head,
But it's time I'll take before I begin,
Three sheets to the wind, three sheets to the wind,
Yeah, it's time I'll take before I begin,
Three sheets to the wind, three sheets to the wind.

"Rebels are we though heavy our hearts shall always be,
And no ball or chain, no prison shall keep,
We're the rebels of the Sacred Heart!
I said, no ball or chain, no prison shall keep,
We're the rebels of the Sacred Heart!…

"Now, ah, bless me, father, for I have sinned,
But it's the same old story again and again and again.
Ah well, such is the bread or an every day life,
From morning to noon to the shadowless night,
Ah well, such is the bread or an every day life,
From morning to noon to the shadowless night…"

No comments: