Tuesday, December 4, 2018

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' Today

Tori Amos, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" from the Crucify E.P. (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: Maybe this betrays my age, but I like every rendition of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I like the original by Nirvana, raw in its pain & rage, & "Weird Al"'s parody, "Smells Like Nirvana." I like Tori Amos's heart-rending cover. (Thus, today's R.B.D.S.O.T.D.) I even like Paul Anka's swanky swing cover, because "cultural misappropriation" is the battle cry of the intellectually bankrupt.
"Load up on guns and bring your friends,
It's fun to lose and to pretend,
She's over-bored and self-assured,
Oh no, I know, a dirty word…

"I'm worst at what I do best,
And for this gift I feel blessed,
Our little group has always been
And always will be 'til the end…"

No comments: