Monday, September 23, 2002

45 Things She Wishes You Knew
44. I remember everything about our relationship.
No, my love, you do not. Neither do I. None of us do. We all forget, often because we want to, sometimes just because we do. But you remember all the important things, and all the things you can use against me, and for that I love you.
Tomorrow, the conclusion of "45 Things She Wishes You Knew."

On Saturday night, I saw a girl get struck by a car. I couldn't tell you anything about the car except that it was dark. I bolted to the girl; the first person to her, sitting there in the middle of State. Her boyfriend grabbed her other arm and we lifted her from the pavement. I directed them to the wall in front of the Union and sat her down. A crowd of strangers were gathered around us, cell phones in most of their hands, calling an ambulance, calling the police, shouting at each other to get the license plate number. Another car stopped and told us the plate number. She was bleeding from a cut above her right eye and crimson marred her white shirt. Her fingers tinged with blood and spreading it to her shoulder, she crossed herself; it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

It took some coaxing, but using my best lifeguard voice I got her to lie down. "I'm not trying to minimize this, but it's a head wound and they bleed profusely; so, don't worry about the blood." She asked if her tooth was chipped and I said yes. Later she asked if anyone could see it lying in the street.She never lost consciousness, but she was starting to go into shock. I talked to her and told she was going to be okay. Some frat boys bought napkins from their house, the one next to the Union, and we started to clean her up. She walked to the wall with our assistance; so, there was no major spinal damage. I didn't check for broken bones, but she didn't mention anything specifically hurting. She asked why someone would do such a thing - "He looked right at me" - but I told her that she'd done nothing wrong and that she was going to be okay.

The Fire Department and the police came. They took her to the U of M hospital. The boyfriend was stunned; I told him not to worry about the car, just to tell her she was going to be all right. "And take care of yourself, man." I hadn't seen the car hit her; I'd reacted once I heard the thud, though I did see her white shirt suspended in the air for less than a moment, above the hood and off to one side. Then, I just ran full out into traffic. Thank God I didn't have to think. I hadn't seen the car before it hit her and I didn't see the driver; so, after he took my name, the police officer didn't need anything from me. He told us that they had the car, though. I was kind of freaked out Saturday night, but I'm cool now. I just kept seeing her doing it over and over: She crossed herself. She crossed herself. She crossed herself.

No comments: