Wednesday, December 8, 2004

Flags of Many Nations
I display in my room the flags of five nations, four of them sovereign, four of them not my own.

United States of America - I will not ever pretend to be objective: the United States is the greatest country not just in the world, but in all of human history. I actually have three American flags in my room. Woot!

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - Rule Brittania. The British invented modern democracy and our basic conceptions of human rights. Plus, for an entire calender year, Britain stood alone against the wrath and fury of the Nazi war machine and did not flinch. Winston Churchill was the man he was because he was half-Yank and half-Brit.

State of Israel - Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. And having survived three wars of annihilation ('48, '67, '73), they are tough bastards. If I couldn't live in America, I'd probably move to Israel. Yes, almost the entire tiny country is a barren desert, but it's a dry heat. Plus, tour all your favorite Biblical and Crusader era archeological sites.

Republic of China (Taiwan) - The best thing I can say about Chiang Kai-shek is that he wasn't Mao Zedong. Nevertheless, the Taiwanese never met a Communist they didn't want to kill and today they are a shining example of everything China could be as soon as the Chinese Communist Party is removed from power.

Republic of Ireland - I am one quarter Irish; blood is the only reason I fly this flag. I hate Ireland. The Irish didn't stand up to the Nazis, they didn't stand up to the Soviets, and for eighty years much of the population has supported the terrorism of the Irish Republican Army. The IRA isn't al Qaeda, but they are still murderers of innocents. Were it within my power, I'd reduce Ireland to ashes.

I need a South Korean flag and a Japanese flag. Asia, woot!

H-A-N
Have a night of the living dead.

No comments: