Monday, April 11, 2005

"I want to live
A life of pleasure,
Don't I deserve
A life of leisure?
Fame and fortune
In equal measure,
I so desire
A life of pleasure."
--King of Prussia, "A Life of Pleasure" from Radio Free Prussia

Barter is Better
Real world experience has once again borne out K. Steeze's axiom, "barter is better." This morning, I rid myself of six compact discs I no longer desired: Flogging Molly, Drunken Lullabies, Swagger, and Alive Behind the Green Door; No Doubt, Rock Steady; Blink-182, Blink 182; and The Cramps, Stay Sick. The clerk at Jellybeans was concise, "$10 cash, $20 in trade." I chose trade, certain I could find some or another hidden gem. And boy howdy, did I ever! The sign on the comic book rack read, "All comics $1.00, 6 for $5.00." I nabbed an issue of Justice League (the immediate post-Crisis relaunch), four issues of Justice League International, eight issues of Justice League America (all from the Giffen-DeMatteis era that I had previously experienced only as the miniseries Formerly Known as the Justice League and its sequel, the current "I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League" arc of JLA: Classified), five sequential issues each of Booster Gold and Richard Dragon: Kung-Fu Fighter, and a Teen Titans Spotlight: Aqualad (whom I have only ever known as Tempest). I am rid of six CDs I hated and I have acquired twenty-four old comics ranging in publication date from 1975-1992. Barter is better!

Crisis on Infinite Earths - the end of the DC Universe as a multiverse, put the Crisis in pre- and post-Crisis
Crisis on Multiple Earths - trade paperback collections of pre-Crisis multiversal crossovers
Identity Crisis - overrated miniseries resurrecting the Silver Age DCU
Infinite Crisis - "What is it with you son, ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

No comments: