Saturday, October 20, 2007

Halloween's Revenge
Last weekend, K. Steeze and I conversed on the topic of Halloween costumes and I reached the conclusion that I have neither the time nor the resources to assemble the costume I truly desire: the Golden Age Sandman (Wesley Dodds) as he appeared in Sandman Mystery Theatre.



Instead, I'll wear my back-up costume, which I already have on hand. I shall haunt the eve of All Saints' Day in the guise of Captain Thumbs-Up, Aqua-Cadet No. 0003432, and it shall be glorious.

Steeze was, and very possibly still is, scrambling to assemble a proper Han Solo costume, though he didn't specify if he intended to wear Solo's costume from A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the Jedi, since each is subtly but distinctly different. We both lamented that Halloween preparations almost always begin too late to do justice to one's original and most outlandish ideas; so, I have decided on a new policy. I shall begin each October to work on the following year's costume. With my Captain Thumbs-Up costume all squared away, I have begun preliminary preparations to gather a cracking good Sandman costume for Halloween '08. Steeze, the most forceful visionary I have ever had the privilege to claim as a friend, is determined to achieve his Han Solo costume for this coming Halloween, now less than two weeks distant. And he'll do it, too, I'd wager. He's Steeze, the absurdly unlikely is his specialty.

Perhaps in '09 I'll go as Donna Reed....

The Victors
What an absolutely perfect day of college football! The valiant Wolverines' victory over the craven Fighting Illini was more exciting than it needed to be, but that's been the story of this entire season; after you start 0-2, any win you can walk away with is a good one. You've got to have Hart, but it was nice to see the maize and blue prevail over a decent Illinois team without benefit of the greatest running back in Michigan's incomparably illustrious history. Woot!

I was mightily pleased by the manner in which the valiant Wolverines fought back from that early 14-3 deficit. It happened in flashes of brilliance and recurrences of imbecility, but the players and coaches improvised, adapted, and overcame. Good show, old bean! The more time that passes, the more respectable Oregon looks, leaving the shattering defeat to Appalachian State the only black mark against a team that has defeated decent opposition in Penn State, Purdue, and Illinois. Clearly, we never deserved to be the No. 5 team in the country, but this year's valiant Wolverines really aren't half bad. We aren't yet as good as we should be, but we aren't half bad.

Go Blue!

He Tasks Me
Wait, what is this, another shutout of Notre Dame? But Charlie Weis was singlehandedly responsible for the Super Bowl triumphs of the New England Patriots! Charlie Weis is the greatest offensive mind in the history of football! How on Earth could his vile Fighting Irish be shut out for the second time this season? BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Curiously, Notre Dame lost both shutouts by the score of 38-0. Not yet spooky, but it's getting there.

A 1-7 record for the greatest coach in the history of football, at any level, in any decade, in any century. I would relent, I would leave Notre Dame's supporters to suffer in peace, but "He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him."

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
As I exalted before, what an absolutely perfect day of college football! The dastardly Spartans lost. Sure, the hated Buckeyes won, but not by as large a margin as they might have, and the villain Tressel looked decidedly furious as his team quit the field. U.C.L.A. revealed Cal to have always been a paper tiger*, because U.C.L.A. is pathetic enough to have lost to *snicker* Notre Dame; so, how bad must Cal be? Hee hee. In the early afternoon, I split my time between Penn State-Indiana and Purdue-Iowa, and then in the late afternoon between Ohio State-Michigan State and U.S.C.-Notre Dame. And then Michigan-Illinois this evening. This was the first Saturday of the Fall that I was able to completely devote to the grandest game of all, college football. Hail and huzzah, what a grand day it was.

*Should I credit myself for resisting the urge to type "paper bears" or should I reproach myself for missing such a, pardon the pun, golden** opportunity?

**The nickname of the athletic teams of the University of California at Berkeley, or Cal, is the Golden Bears. The University of California at Los Angeles, or U.C.L.A., is the Bruins.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" from Love Their Country (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Only the Gimme Gimmes, the greatest cover band in the world, could make "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" a song of pure joy and exhilaration. You magnificent bastards!

And speaking of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, we should not forget that 'twas Codename: PANDORA, a.k.a. The Sardine, who served, in the summer of '03, as the inspiration for:

"A short skirt,
A Gimmes shirt,
A Jones soda,
Ain't life grand?"

Tomorrow: "The Irrevocable Shackles of Matrimony: The Wedding Album, Part 4." I promise, come Hell or high water.

No comments: