Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Project TROIKA
Phase 1 (of 5): COMPLETE.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
They Might Be Giants, "Withered Hope" from The Else (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I've been Very Sad Sack, to a T, more than once in my life. Never again? I cannot say, because the kind of girl I want as a friend is exactly the kind of girl I want as a girlfriend.

"Very Sad Sack is a sad bag,
Very very sad, Very Sad Sack.
Withered Hope say she is his friend to the end
But she doesn't like Very Sad Sack.
Today Withered Hope saw the Very Sad Sack
And she tried not to meet his eyes.
And he cut out a paper heart,
Pinned it to his arm,
Gave her everything he was holding in his head.
This is what he said:

Withered Hope, I'm in love with you,
Want to live with you, Withered Hope.
Are you going to say to me, 'This can never be'?
Are you going to say to me, Withered Hope?

Sad sack.
Sad sack."

This next part is outside my experience.

"Withered Hope says she has a soul mate
Living in a city in another state.
But the soul mate thinks about a picture in a book
Of a beautiful crook.
And the picture of the crook in the book
Is in love with a brand-new motorbike.
But the motorbike doesn't like crooks,
It's obsessed with the Very Sad Sack.

Sad Sack, I'm in love with you,
Want to live with you, Sad Sack.
Are you going to say to me, 'This can never be'?
Are you going to say to me, Sad Sack?

Sad sack.
Sad sack."

Motorbike? When I was very young, ambulatory but insensate, my sister called me "Michael Michael Motorcycle." Or so I am told. Makes more sense than the later fact that I called one of my two Uncles Bob "Uncle Turntable."


Dienstag, 13 Januar
They Might Be Giants, "Yeah, the Deranged Millionaire" from Cast Your Pod to the Wind (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"He lived in a secret location,
Burnin' money all day.
And people from miles around
Were miles away.

...

Gold is diamond-encrusted
And diamonds are covered in gold."

No comments: