Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Happy (Belated) Birthday!
Happy birthday to my father, two days late! My problems with my father are legion, but first, last, and always he is my father. And my father is now sixty years old, old beyond any reasonable objection. Let's hear a few thoughts from Dr. Tolian Soran, the insufficient villain of Star Trek Generations: "[Time]'s like a predator; it's stalking you. Oh, you can try and outrun it with doctors, medicines, new technologies, but in the end time is going to hunt you down… and make the kill." Happy birthday, Dad!

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Johnny Socko, "Hasselhoff" from Full Trucker Effect (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Seemin' more like David Hasselhoff everyday!"

Dienstag, 9 März
Paul Simon, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: A song I sang at karaoke the weekend before last, and which I had not heard in years, though it was always warmly regarded.

Montag, 9 März
They Might Be Giants, "Older" from Mink Car (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: In commemoration of my father's sixtieth birthday.

"You're older than you've ever been
And now you're even older,
And now you're even older,
And now you're even older.
You're older than you've ever been,
And now you're even older,
And now you're older still."

And it's always true.

2 comments:

brenda cox giguere said...

The sentiment is nice, but I'm unsettled to know that in less than four short years, God willing, I'll be OLD. I don't feel old.

Mike Wilson said...

I've decided to risk dancing on the precipice of hubris and quote F. Scott Fitzgerald: "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." Sixty is old, there's no getting around it. Even my mother, herself only months away from turning sixty, admits as much. Sixty is old, but at the same time there is no denying that you are only as old as you feel. I hope, Dreamer, that you live to be old, but that in so doing you refuse to be old.