Sunday, March 7, 2010

Proud Europa
The Swiss are still crazy, but all hope is not yet lost: animallink.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
The Blues Brothers, "She Caught the Katy" from The Blues Brothers Original Soundtrack Recording (T.L.A.M.)

Samstag, 6 März
Less Than Jake, "Conviction Notice" from GNV FLA (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Yesterday, as I stood in the corridor awaiting my turn to compete in the Impromptu speaking finals at the Michigan Intercollegiate Speech League (M.I.S.L.) State Championships, "Conviction Notice" came to mind, discernibly apropos of nothing, and I paced up and down the hallway singing quietly:

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent!"

I desired to work those words into my speech, which, as the name Impromptu suggests, is devised "on the spot," but could find no opening. Instead, I delivered by my own estimation a highly satisfactory speech and, in only my third weekend in competition against seasoned forensics speakers with years of training and experience under their belts, was adjudged the third best Impromptu speaker in the State of Michigan. Woot!


Freitag, 5 März
The University of Michigan Marching Band, "Temptation" from Hurrah for the Yellow and Blue (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: And because "you can't have one without the other…"

The University of Michigan Marching Band, "Hawaiian War Chant" from Hurrah for the Yellow and Blue (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary (cont'd): Go Blue!

5 comments:

The Guy said...

Congratulations, you silver-tongued devil.

brenda cox giguere said...

Recognition is a wonderful thing. Congratulations!

cd

Mike Wilson said...

As a separate issue, Brenda, would you like your Secret Base codename to be "California Dreamer"? I threw that out once, randomly, as a sidelong reference to your "Dreamland…" blog, but since you seem to have taken a shine to it I'll happily make it your official nom de T.S.B.O.T.R.B.D.S. Lemme know.

Mike Wilson said...

Also, where are my manners? Thank you both.

brenda cox giguere said...

You're quite welcome. It's great news and you should be proud of yourself.

And what an honor to come home from out of town and find I have an official codename here.

My ongoing endeavor will be, through word and deed, to demonstrate that a dreamer can also be a doer.

Woo hoo! Thank you.